Tuesday, November 07, 2006

News About Programmer Jobs

I read in the October 16, 2006th copy of Information Week, that jobs for coders is starting to stabilize. The article has a dark view on this news, mainly because the amount of jobs is not going up. However, I see it differently. Overall, since 2000, the number of employed programmers has dropped about 200,000. While the number of people who considered themselves programmers, has dropped as well. I started my professional career in 1998 as a Java developer for an IT consulting firm. We got torn to shreds when the dot com crash of 2000/2001 hit. I was one of the lucky ones who managed to stay employed. I saw a lot of friends out of work. Every year it seemed like things were getting worse.

So, now, with the programming jobs becoming more stable, things look much better. I would rather that the jobs remain stable, then go down hill. The article lists updating legacy systems, customizing apps, and writing new apps as positions where developers are in high demand. One thing is certain though, technological progress will continue, therefore, programmers, and software engineers, will always be needed.

No comments: